Each week we have sustainability-(and coffee)-fuelled conversations with our hotel clients’ ‘Green Teams’ who are exploring our initiatives that focus on reducing their plastic usage.
We’re pleased that so many of our clients got involved with ‘plastic free July’ – a campaign that aims to raise awareness of the amount of plastic in our lives by encouraging people to reduce their reliance on single-use plastic disposables, reduce plastic pollution, and push for lasting solutions to the plastic pollution crisis.
Here’s a glimpse of what our clients are up to:
STAY Camden | Tem Tempest-Roe – Marketing Manager, STAY
As we progress on our Green Journey at STAY Camden, we continue to implement a number of eco-conscious changes, as we work towards the goal of removing single use plastic from our apartments. One of our recent initiatives is the addition of a water dispenser in every guest lobby, to replace the bottles of water on check-in. The still and sparkling water dispensers are currently being installed here at STAY Camden, and glass refillable bottles will be provided in each apartment.
We have also onboarded a new amenity partner, Naturals Remedies, representing a more eco-friendly alternative, and we continue to engage with both our current and new suppliers, to remove plastic packaging from our welcome hampers and amenities.
Single use plastic reduction | Jane Kendrick – COO, mission : net zero
Earlier this year, we announced a collaboration with Clean the World who are helping divert hotel waste from landfill by recycling soap and single use plastic toiletry products for distribution to areas around the world where hygiene related disease is prolific. We’re pleased to help many of our hotel clients forge partnerships with CtW.
Click here to view the full DoubleTree by London ExCeL Impact Report which shows:
- 255kg of soap diverted from landfill
- 376 KgC02e carbon footprint reduction
- 3,880 bars of soap distributed to those that need it the most
- 433kgs plastic collected
If you’re a hotel or leisure resort that generates a considerable amount of soap and toiletry waste, we encourage you to explore our Hotel Recycling Programme. Drop us a line to find out more.
Top tips for reducing your hotels plastic usage
- Implement Clean the World scheme – depending on the size of your hotel, perhaps you throw away dozens … maybe hundreds … of soap bars and plastic bottles daily. This needs to change.
- Swap out plastic waste bags for biodegradable alternatives – choose bags made from recyclable materials and make sure they are truly biodegradable.
- Replace plastic water bottles with glass or metal ones. If you offer guests water in plastic cups on arrival, in lobby areas or in the gym – this is a quick swap.
- Swap out plastic toiletries for glasswear – switching to refillable liquid soap will dramatically reduce use of single-use plastics. Learn more about our collaboration with sustainable packaging brand, Kuishi.
- Remove plastic straws and single-use condiment packaging – either remove straws completely or try to replace with alternatives to plastic (bamboo for example)
Want to join the fight against plastic? Drop us an enquiry outlining any concerns about your hotels’ green credentials and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.